Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Last Day in Ireland

Tursday, te Tird of Feb. (FN1)
It was super sad.  I honestly could have come back to the US at this point and been perfectly satisfied with the trip.  However, I am looking forward to Israel.  Who knows what waits there!
Daniel had painted me a little picture to say goodbye and it is awesome.  I’ll have to figure out a way to make sure it doesn’t get messed up in transit.  Seth and I took care of the boys while Viki was at school and Jessica was in Cork.  Interesting side note: everyone kept talking about how tough the driving test was in Ireland (and England) so I looked it up.  It’s almost twice as hard to pass the driving exam here as it is to pass the bar exam in Alabama.  (53.4% pass rate for drivers exam in Ireland vs. 77% pass rate on Alabama bar exam.)  One of those two countries is doing something wrong.
Seth and I left in the early afternoon and drove to Cobh (pronounced Cove) to sightsee.  Cobh was the primary point of departure for Irish emigrants leaving for Elis Island so it was really cool to see it.  I feel quite confident that someone who contributed to my gene pool passed through Cobh.  It’s also the last port at which the Titanic docked before sinking and the Lusitania was torpedoed 30 miles off-shore to start The Great War (WWI) so the place was chock full of history.  (Now I know why they built that look-out shack on the cliffs.  U-boats were a big threat.)  We went to a museum, a cathedral and saw some of the other sights.  Including a small castle that Seth said had recently been for sale (complete with huge “FOR SALE” sign across the front).
FN1 The date in the post title is a tribute to the Cork accent which pronounces everything with a hard T sound.  No “th” allowed.  Seth becomes Set.  Thursday becomes Tursday.  It’s awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment