Saturday, February 26, 2011

Laundry

Saturday, the 26th of Feb.

Today I hauled my dirty clothes a couple blocks up the street to do laundry.  I took along a backpack full of snacks and the Feb./Mar. issue of Garden & Gun magazine. 

I had to wait about half an hour for a machine to come open so I just plopped down in one of the chairs and started reading.  It was really a delightful afternoon.  It took me about an hour and a half to get it all done but it was just wonderful.  It was about 68 degrees (F) with a gentle breeze and I sat in the shade and read the entire issue. 

G&G has a unique ability to really make me feel like I’m experiencing the culture of whatever it’s talking about.  You feel like you’re living it when you read.  So it was a surreal experience to be immersed in the world of Mobile Bay or New Orleans while listening to people walking by speaking Arabic and Hebrew with the occasional strains of French or Russian floating by my ears as well.

Oh.  I noticed the locals looking at me funny when I was loading my laundry into the washing machine so I asked what was up.  Turns out that I’ve been doing laundry with fabric softener, not detergent.  Yeah.  Darn those all Hebrew labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment