Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Time Zones and Phones

The time difference between here and the States has lead to some funny situations and stories.  Probably the most exciting was one from a couple of weeks ago.  My grandfather had a stroke on the Thursday of that week.  He's 93 and also has some other fairly major health issues recently but beyond that he's tough as nails and still going quite strong (he still drives, meets his friends for coffee and watches the stock and commodities markets like a hawk haha).

So anyways, he has a stroke.  I get an email from my parents, I wind up speaking to them on the phone several hours later and things don't look great.  So I started leaving my US phone on at night in case they needed to reach me immediately.  Sunday of that week I have the conversation with my parents about "hey, if things take a turn for the worse, you need to give me a call to let me know."

I go to sleep that night and I'm pretty worried about my grandfather.  Well sure enough, 3am and I hear the distinctive sound of an incoming text message.  I bound out of bed.  I probably went from asleep under the covers to across the room holding the phone in less than a second.  I pull up the text message absolutely dreading what I'm about to read and this is what I see:

Im engaged!!!!!!!!!!

It was one of my friends announcing her engagement.  I have never been more excited in my life to get an engagement announcing text.

Not to leave you hanging: My grandfather is doing incredibly well.  He's weeks ahead of the most optimistic projections by the doctors.  Already home and fussing that the doctors are worried about him driving.  He's a tough dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment