Friday, March 4, 2011

Chinese Shabbat

Friday, the 4th of March

We had an early class this morning which is just no fun.  8:15 am classes mean I have to be up around 6:30.  That’s fine in the US, but here people don’t eat dinner until 8 or 9 so it makes for late nights and tough mornings.

Also, I’ve gone from class four days a week to class six days a week, and that my friends is entirely no fun.  I don’t think they have many classes on Fridays for Israelis, but us exchange students get screwed.  I’ve had a class every Friday.  So Sunday through Friday I trot off to campus!

After class I started my weekend and it was awesome.  It’s easy to see why the Israelis are so fit.  I biked an hour (my commute to campus and back), then walked for an hour and a half doing errands.  That’s just normal life.  (Add in training and you get some serious calorie burning.  I ran 10 miles today on top of all that normal life stuff so I was starving by the time dinner rolled around.

Which worked out extremely well because Daniel, one of the Israeli students, invited me and Natalie to Shabbat dinner with his family so I was going to get GREAT cooking.  They cooked Chinese food and it was unreal.  Started off with some sushi (Japanese I know) then went into all the traditional dishes (sweet & sour, general tso’s, etc.).  There must have been six different kinds of chicken and beef.  Oh my goodness.  Sooooo good.

The highlight of the evening was after dinner when the family coaxed Natalie, who is taking Hebrew classes, into reading from their young daughter’s first-grade reader.  It was hilarious.  Whenever she would finish a sentence everyone would cheer and clap.  I laughed so hard, but inside I was just really jealous that should could read and speak Hebrew.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment