Monday, January 24, 2011

Leavin' On A Jet-Plane

John Denver's classic, Leaving on a Jet Plane, captures half the emotions I'm experiencing right now.  It's really sad to leave all my incredible friends and family.  They are wonderful.  In fact, I have been really swamped trying to get to all the parties they threw for me.  (Wait a minute, were they just happy to see me go?  Hmm.)  The family took me to Auburn's BCS Championship Celebration and it was great to see everyone.  The Birmingham crew threw me a swell party and even brought some Italian exchange students to tell me what it's like to move to another culture.  Supper Club in Tuscaloosa hosted a celebration of the "Israel/American Alliance" haha.  It involved a ton of American stuff (hotdogs, apple pie and beer) and some Jewish dishes as well (thanks Steph!).  All the parties were great.  As much as I'll miss everyone, it's only three months and with modern technology I won't be that far away at all.  Still, they're wonderful and I'll miss them.

On the other hand, this spirit of this song more accurately reflects how I feel (though the lyrics aren't exactly apropos).  I am P U M P E D about this chance to live in another country and learn different cultures, laws/legal systems and business practices.  Seeing the land that is central to peace in modern times is another reason that I am pumped about going.  The Dead Sea, Mediterranean Ocean, Mount of Olives, Negev Dessert, Pyramids, Petra etc. will all be within travel distance.  I cannot wait.

I am currently sitting at a coffee shop in Nashville getting all my stuff together before I leave for three months.  It's a wild feeling.  Tomorrow I board a plane bound for Dallas than onto London.  I'll be spending some time in Cambridge and some time in Youghal, Ireland visiting friends before finally arriving in Tel Aviv.  Posts might be sparse until I get settled into my apartment in Tel Aviv.

1 comment:

  1. You do know that John Denver never made it back from that Jet Plane flight, right? haha... Enjoy your trip - travel safe!

    ReplyDelete