Thursday, January 27, 2011

I'm alive!

I'm waiting on the girls to get ready for us to go into London so I thought I'd throw up a quick post.  We made it over here relatively uneventfully.  The best part of the flight was that when we got to Dallas we decided to ask how much it would cost to upgrade to Business or First Class.  The lady said she had exactly two upgrades left, perfect, for $6,000 (US) and $12,000 each.  Not perfect.  We laughed and chatted with her for a while as we talked about how that was just not possible.  Fast forward an hour and we've gotten lunch and are now in line to board.  As we approach the gate, Gertie, my new favorite airline employee, called us over, handed us new boarding passes and she had given us "Premium Seating" where we had a row of five seats to stretch out on.  Unbelievable.  We still can't figure out how she knew our names.  We never told her our names or where we were originally booked to sit on the flight.  That's impressive customer service.  (Shout out to American Airlines!)

We arrived in London at 7:45 am local time.  Cleared customs/immigration and were on the tube (their subway) by about 8:45.  We got to the train station at exactly 9:45 and caught the 9:52 train to Cambridge and wound-up around the kitchen table about 11:00.  The English country-side is GORGEOUS.  I could not believe how fast it transitioned from downtown/urban to bucolic pastureland.   Literally three minutes on the train and we went from the home of Arsnal (one of the best futbol teams in the world) to rolling green hills with flocks of sheep.  All-in-all a perfect trip over.

The afternoon was spent chatting and dozing.  (We fought sleep, but lost.)  Last night we went to this amazing pub called The Wrestler which served incredible Thai food along with amazing British cask ales.  It was fantastic.  Then Adam toured us around the base, we went grocery shopping, saw the F-15s on the flight line, got gas and went home.  I went to bed about 11pm and slept like a rock until my alarm went off at 9am.  Jet-lag, what's that?  So far I'm kicking its butt and I hope to keep rolling.

Today we're going to hit up London, do the sight-seeing thing, and I'll probably get roped into some shopping.  *sigh*  Tomorrow we're going to tour Cambridge and get dinner with Lauren, an old buddy from Auburn who's over here getting a masters.  Should be a blast.  Then Saturday it's on to Ireland!  (Just in case I don't get another chance to post you'll know what's up.)

3 comments:

  1. I.am.so.jealous!!! Who are you with? Keeping an eye on Israel-Egypt stuff. Unreal. The english countryside IS gorgeous! I am so excited for you and can't wait for the next post! Tell Lauren I said hey if you read this before you leave her!! xo- R

    ReplyDelete
  2. i looooooove london!! can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I'm so excited to follow your blog. Sounds like you are already having a great time!

    ReplyDelete